Member of the following Professional Associations:
- Council member of the Music Teachers’ Association (NSW) since September 2006 to present
- Council member of the Australian Society for Music Education, New South Wales (ASME NSW)
- Collegiate of Specialist Music Educators (FCSM)
- Music Council of Australia (MCA)
- Music Australia
- The Society for Education
- Music and Psychology Research (Sempre)
- Musicological Society of Australia (MSA)
- Society for Music Theory (SMT)
- Accompanists’ Guild of NSW
- Australian Music and Psychology Society (AMPS)
- Society for Music Perception and Cognition
- Piaget Society
- Society for Mathematics and Computation in Music
- Acoustical Society of America
Some recent achievements:
- 2019 Conference - Mathematics and Computation in Music, "The art in mathematics, the science in music" Universidad Politécnica de Madrid: Escuela Técnica Superior de Ingeniería de Sistemas Informáticos, Madrid, Spain. Paper: Milne, A. J. & Calilhanna, A. Teaching Music with Mathematics: A Pilot Study.
- 2019 Milne, A. J. & Calilhanna, A. Teaching Music with Mathematics: A Pilot Study. Manuscript submitted for publication.
- 2018 Master of Music (Musicology) Thesis. Calilhanna, A. Teaching Musical Meter to School-Age Students Through The Ski-Hill Graph. The University of Sydney. Retrieved from https://ses.library.usyd.edu.au/handle/2123/19791
- 2018 Hamilton, T.J., Doai, J., Milne, A.J., Saisanas, V., Calilhanna, A., Hilton, C., Goldwater, M., Cohn, R. “Teaching Mathematics with Music: a pilot study.” Accepted for presentation at the IEEE International Conference on Teaching, Assessment, and Learning for Engineering (TALE): Engineering Next-Generation Learning, Australia, 4 - 7 December 2018.
- 2018 Unpublished. Calilhanna, A.M. and Webb, M.Teaching time: A survey of music educators’ approaches to meter, presented at the Meter Symposium 3, Sydney, 2018.
- 2018 Book Chapter Hilton, C.; Calilhanna, A.; Milne, A.J. Eds. Montiel, M. and Gómez, F. “Visualizing and mathematical music theory with software applications: Implications of computer-based models for practice and education”. Theoretical and Practical Pedagogy of Mathematical Music Theory. Music for Mathematics and Mathematics for Musicians, From School to Postgraduate Levels. (World Scientific Press, 2018).
- 2018 Sessional academic staff Music Education Unit – Teaching Music Theory in the Classroom, Sydney Conservatorium of Music: special focus on Meter.
- 2017-18 Project collaboration: Teaching Mathematics With Music and Music With Mathematics – Schools Pilot, Sydney (on- going).
- 2017/18 Co-coordinator Meter Symposium 3: Nov 24-25 2018 at the Sydney Conservatorium of Music.
- 2017 December Combined Conference of the Musicological Society of Australia and the New Zealand Musicological Society: ‘Performing History’- Presented Music Curriculum Paper: ‘A Modern Understanding of Musical Meter in Music Education.’
- 2017 July ASME National Conference (Melbourne) Presented Music Curriculum paper: ‘Teaching with a Modern Understanding of Musical Meter.’
- 2017 June NSW Education Standards Authority (NESA) register of curriculum writers and reviewers for K-12 Music.
- 2017 Completed course: Advanced Music Analysis unit Sydney Conservatorium of Music: modern analytical techniques in both tonality and meter.
- 2017 Co-organised the Sydney Conservatorium of Music, Musicology Colloquium Series.
- 2017, Unpublished. Calilhanna, A. Understanding Teaching Meter Survey Report. Sydney Conservatorium of Music.
- 2016/17 Research Assistant to Senior Lecturer, Music Education Unit, (Thesis Project: Understanding and Teaching Meter Survey and Report), Sydney Conservatorium of Music.
- 2016 to present – Project collaboration ‘Computational generation of rhythm and meter.’
- February 2017 Presentation at Meter Symposium 2 - Sydney Conservatorium of Music - meter in secondary classroom music and private studios.
- 2016 December Project collaboration Ski-hill graph video. Is This a March or a Waltz? Then: How to Visualize Conflicting Meters. David Kulma and Professor Richard Cohn.
- 2016 November Presented Meter in Secondary Music Education Curriculum research paper at the Melbourne Music Analysis Summer School.
- July 2016 - June 2017 Co-organized Meter Symposium 2 - Sydney Conservatorium of Music Special Research Event, February 24 - 25 2017. Panel member for the Meter in Education Forum.
- July 2016 Research Assistant to Chair of Musicology Unit, History of Emotions project, 11th and 12th-century liturgical manuscripts, Sydney Conservatorium of Music.
- July 2016 Adjudicator for the Castle Hill Festival of Performing Arts, Piano Section.
- June 2016 Coordinated the inaugural Meter Symposium, event of the student-led Meter Study Group, at the Sydney Conservatorium of Music modern meter theory, meter theory history and the application of that theory in music education.
- April 2016 Lectured on Meter Theory with undergraduate Musicology students at the Sydney Conservatorium of Music.
- November 2015 Founded the student-led Meter Study group at the SCM.
- June 2015 Presented meter The Sydney Conservatorium Graduate Symposium.
- June 2015 Completed a semester unit of Meter Theory at the Sydney Conservatorium of Music taught by Professor Richard Cohn, Battell Professor of the Theory of Music, Yale University.
- November 2014 Presented co-authored academic paper ‘The Experience of Happiness, and Pleasure in Music Practice and Performance' at Sydney University Conference ‘Happiness, Joy and Pleasure Conference’.
- July 2014 Enrolled in postgraduate research course at the Sydney Conservatorium of Music - Master of Music (Musicology).
- February 2013 Accreditation New South Wales Institute of Teachers for Professional Competence.
- 2013 Awarded the Collegiate of Specialist Music Educators.
- July 2013 Adjudicator for the Castle Hill Festival of Performing Arts (Pianoforte).
- 2009 – present Reviews of Music teaching resources; website and CD reviews in The Studio magazine - Professional Journal of the Music Teachers’ Association (NSW).
- Since 1984 piano accompanist for examinations, concerts, HSC, eisteddfods, musical societies, and university auditions.
- Performed in chamber music ensembles with many musicians including members of The Queensland Orchestra. Industry experience playing jazz, music and popular music.
- Choral conducting in Brisbane and Sydney.
- Various universities throughout Queensland have employed me to train student teachers in secondary classroom music teaching.
- CD and music textbook reviews for the Professional Publication 'The Studio' Journal of the Music Teachers’ Association (NSW) 2011-2016
My personal goal in teaching is:
"To foster the life-long love of music in my students".
2017 Working with Children Check clearance: WWC0029819E